I’m up to Day 4 of my gluten free experiment and I’m feeling great! Couldn’t say the same for yesterday though. Craved bread all day and caught myself spying on all the goodies at the local bakery! Oops! Probably didn’t help that I didn’t eat anything for about five hours while I was at uni so my hunger was steering me towards carbs. Got through it though and must say, I’m feeling less bloated and tired after meals, and I’m not snacking on naughty things like biscuits and chocolate. Not even craving them!
This morning I woke up and felt like I needed something more than my yoghurt and fruit so I decided to try my hand at making crepes. I’ve never made them before but I had them out at a French creperie the other night and they were DIVINE. Mine were definitely nowhere near those but they certainly did the job! I like them better than pancakes because they’re lighter and more crispy. I also thought banana and coffee would be a suitable breakfast combo! Please note, this is my first time making crepes so they’re not perfect but they do taste good! Check out the recipe below.
Banana Coffee Crepes (makes 3-4 small crepes)
1 cup of gluten free flour
1/2 cup of almond milk or dairy free milk
2 tbsp Nuttelex or dairy free margarine, melted
1/4 tsp salt
70g five:am yoghurt in “coffee bean” (about half a small tub)
Seeds or nuts to garnish
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add two eggs and milk and mix with a whisk.
- Add melted butter and salt and whisk batter until smooth.
- Cook in a small pan on medium heat until lightly browned on both sides. Don’t cook them too long otherwise they get too crispy and will break when rolling.
- Slice one banana and distribute the slices between two crepes, leaving a few slices for garnish (this is for one serve – you will probably get four small crepes, so in that case you will need another banana if you want to serve two people)
- Roll the crepes up and serve with the coffee flavoured yoghurt, extra banana and some seeds. Enjoy!