This recipe is my attempt at emulating the cheeseburgers from a local joint called Nordburger that specialise in American style fast food. Just because I don’t eat gluten anymore, doesn’t mean I should have to give up cheeseburgers, right? It’s true, this isn’t one of my healthiest recipes in terms of fat and salt content, but if you have the urge to eat a burger, it’s certainly better for you than what they serve at Maccas, and you can control the amount of fat and salt you use.
Gluten Free Cheeseburgers & Sweet Potato Chips (serves 2 or 3)
Ingredients for Burger
300g good quality beef mince
1/2 onion, diced
1 or 2 dill pickles (from the jar)
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp dried italian herbs
Salt & Pepper
1/2 tbsp olive oil & some extra for frying
Ingredients for burger toppings
2 slices of cheddar cheese
1 rasher of bacon (optional)
2 large gluten free bread rolls (or 3 small)
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Chips
1 large sweet potato
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare the chips: scrub the skin of the sweet potato thoroughly then slice thinly into rounds.
- Put a sheet of baking paper on a tray and spread the rounds all over until covered. It is ok if they overlap because when they cook, they will shrink and create more space.
- Spray or drizzle olive oil over the sweet potato rounds and season with cracked salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake until crispy and brown on one side. Keep an eye on them and flip the chips with a spatula so the other side of the chips can brown.
- While the chips bake, prepare the burger patties: add oil and butter to a medium size pan on medium heat. Add onion and fry until soft.
- Add dijon mustard and fry for a couple more minutes. Take the onion mixture and place in a small bowl to cool.
- Once cooled, add the mixture to the beef mince and combine with hands. Add herbs, salt and pepper & further combine. Do not overmix or the patty will become tough.
- Add cornflour and combine then shape into 2 large patties or 3 small patties.
- Heat oil in a medium frypan, cook patties for a couple minutes on one side. Flip pattie and add a slice of cheese. Cook for a further couple of minutes. Let the burgers rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the bun and burger toppings. If you want bacon for the burgers, now is the time to cook it!
- Slice burger buns in half and toast in oven until golden brown.
- While the buns toast, slice a couple of pickles for the topping.
- Assemble the burgers: burger patty with cheese, pickles, sauce and ketchup, with sweet potato chips on the side. Enjoy!