After my recent Asian grocery haul, there are a bunch of foods in my pantry and fridge that are perfect for creating dishes inspired by Korean and Japanese flavours. So tonight I decided to create a mini bento box-type meal combining korean sweet brown rice, boiled egg, spinach and kimchi. It’s a very simple and quick way of putting a meal together which is perfect when you don’t have a lot of time for cooking! Generally I’m not a fan of brown rice but this Korean variety has great flavour and despite what I had heard about how hard it is to cook, it turned out really well in the rice cooker! It’s surprising how filling this meal is, despite the small amounts used. The great thing about these boxes are that you can use whatever you like! In another box, I’ve gone with a more Japanese style using the same brown rice with pickled ginger, wasabi and miso flavoured egg. The possibilities are endless! A great tip I picked up was to use silicon cupcake pans to separate the different ingredients in your container 🙂 Hope you give these great mini meal boxes a try!
Mini Bento Box (Korean style)
Korean brown sweet rice
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
Gochujang + Honey + Sesame Oil for the sauce
1. Cook up some brown rice in a rice cooker (or on the stove if you know how!)
2. While the rice cooks, boil some water. Cook an egg for a few minutes until it’s hard boiled.
3. Combine gochujang with honey and a drizzle of sesame oil to your taste.
4. When egg is cooked, remove it from boiling water but do not turn off the stove. Add your spinach and let it cook for a minute or so. Take the egg, cool it under some cold water, peel off the shell and slice in half. Drain the spinach and pop it in some cold water to stop it from cooking further. Squeeze out the extra water with your hands.
5. Assemble your bento box! Add rice first, then pop some silicon cupcake pans into your box for dividers. Fill the pans with the kimchi, and spinach topped with egg. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the rice and add a dollop of sauce. Eat!